The Huz is a good and decent man. He loves animals and his family and he’s been known to shed a tear or two during a good sports movie. Since the Huz is such a great guy, I really wanted to knock his socks off when he presented me with a culinary challenge. We had a 1lb tube of goat cheese languishing in the refrigerator, destined for no meal in particular, and when I asked what I could make for dinner one night, he said, “a goat cheese dessert.” Whether or not he was serious, I’ll never know. He certainly won’t admit it if he’d been kidding because I truly outdid myself this time.
With the challenge laid down, I had a mere 20 minutes to find a recipe before needing to take Bodhi out for his evening constitutional. Not willing to wander the internets aimlessly, I went straight to one of my favorite baking blogs: Bakerella. And, as expected, Ms. Bakerella did not disappoint:
from Bakerella, 10/19/08
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa, natural unsweetened
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup skim milk, room temperature (original recipe called for whole milk, but I only had skim on hand)
1 cup shredded zucchini
4 oz. Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate bar, chopped in chunks (original recipe called for Valrhona)
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Line cupcake trays with 18 baking cups.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- Cream butter with a mixer in a large bowl. Add sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla one at a time, mixing well with each addition.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk in two additions (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour)
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chunks until combined.
- Fill baking cups 2/3 full and place in oven immediately.
8. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
Creamy Goat Cheese Frosting
5 oz. goat cheese (original recipe called for Ile de France brand goat cheese)
3 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
3 cups confectioner’s sugar, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Sift sugar and set aside.
- Beat the goat cheese, cream cheese and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until creamy.
- Gradually add the sugar, mixing and scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl in between additions.
2 oz. Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate bar, chopped in chunks
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- Place chocolate and whipping cream in the microwave. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until melted. Blend thoroughly.
- Add sugar and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour ganache into a small plastic squeeze bottle or cake decorating bag with metal tip.
- Insert opening of squeeze bottle or decorating bag halfway into cupcake center and squeeze ganache until you see it start to surface.
- Then, spread creamy goat cheese frosting on top with a knife or small offset spatula.
- Use any leftover semi-sweet chocolate pieces to sprinkle on top of cupcakes.
The only words The Huz could offer when he tasted these cupcakes were “Mmmmm” and “Oooh” so I think it’s safe to say he enjoyed them. I hope you do too. And thanks again to Bakerella (the Huz thanks you too!)!!